Friday, February 22, 2013

Q&A's

Q: Why have I never been taught how to interview in previous journalism classes?

A: I do not know. I did not even realize it until Thursday's class. I just started reporting, without any guidance or techniques. I learned some things from experience, but I am happy I was present during this class. I knew to avoid yes or no questions, but never really considered that questions starting with "Do you think," "Should you" or "Have you" as part of that category. I also realized that many of my interviews lack the follow-up questions "How many?" and "How often?" Progress shall be made.

Q: Why is every journalist I know a procrastinator?

A: I think every journalism teacher can attest to that. Cyphers enlightened me on the fact that we like to put things off until we are forced to worry about them. Sometimes, it works in our benefit. Other times, we set ourselves up for failure.

Q: Why didn't I know who Nikola Tesla was?

A: Doesn't matter, I guess. I know who he is now, all thanks to tangents.

Q: How often should I be updating my blog?

A: Way more often than once a month. I'm a slacker.

Q: Let's talk about my weird devotion to this class.

A: Well, when I feel like distracting myself from doing other work, I log into Moodle and peruse assignments due. Today, I put off editing my story for APN because I was curious about their blog posts, even though I do not have to grade nor view them. However, it did inspire me to get this post out of the way. 

Now, it's time to check it off my to-do list. 

By the way, I hope you don't like tuna. Good thing I don't. I hear 59% of the tuna distributed in the U.S. is not really tuna. Oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment