Thursday, February 28, 2013

C is for concise

This week, we learned how to package a huge load of facts into a small article without leaving anything important out.
 
Through the hologram example, the class and I saw how quotes should not be the story. They should provide a scene to set your story or complement the story you already have. Too many quotes can take over your story. It's more newspaper-like than magazine-like. In newspaper, it is supposed to be the voices of the people you are interviewing, since you are unbiased. In magazine, it is your story and your voice and your research. Quotes should be minimal in quantity and short. They should not be overwhelmed with words. Like Cyphers said, "They should be thought of as the exclamation point on the fact."

Hearing and seeing Neil on Tuesday made me more hopeful about why I am here. He made me hopeful for internships and for success in my future career. He also confirmed for me the necessity of learning multimedia and the advantage of taking the "dirty jobs" first.

I also learned about Geek magazine, which is actually very interesting and informative about today's culture. It made me think about the terminology because nowadays so many people classify themselves with the word "geek," but there are different types of geeks. The magazine focuses more on the original classification on it.

So how did I do with content and quotes here, Cyphers?

No comments:

Post a Comment