Monday, March 18, 2013

Boundaries

This week, we actually taught! Just kidding. We always teach, sometimes.

In Tuesday's lesson, the students had an in-class assignment in which they had to bring dead constructions to life. I thought it was the easiest assignment ever, but some students found it difficult. Many thought they had it, but when I asked the, to show me what they had, they were changing good constructions to worse ones! The fact that I succeeded in helping them learn something made me really happy. It's good for my ego.


A student made me realize that when it is time for me to go around and check on students, I tend to go to the students I know best first. She told me, jokingly I hope, to go away and interact with students I don't know. Funny thing is I don't know that particular student that well, but I know the others in her group. Either way, I guess I should stop going there first.


My interesting week included establishing what kind of relationship I, as the TA, should have with the students. In between classes last week, I decided to interact with a student I wasn't that fond of so I can develop some sort of relations with him and understand him a little better. He may or may not have taken it the wrong way, so I had to find the proper wording so I wouldn't offend him. It wasn't easy, since it took him a while to get the point. I sincerely wish that situation is now in the clear, and I have learned that I must work on how my interactions with others should be as clear as I intend for them to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment